Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Beyond the Bubble @ Clyde W. Roddy

Yesterday was the annual all-college service day here at Bryan. Everyone from students to faculty to staff was encouraged to join one of the many project groups that would be going out into the Dayton community to serve. The theme for this year was Beyond the Bubble, a title that pokes fun at the figurative "bubble" that we live in up on the Hill.  The library crew--being the current staff, myself, and a former intern--had been set up with a project at the Clyde W. Roddy Public library in Dayton.
 Armed with rags and shelf reading skills we dusted the shelves and read them to make sure they were in order. Between the seven of us, we conquered the entire library.

Clyde (as I've affectionately called it since first coming to Dayton) isn't a big library, but despite it's size and the size of the county, (not much bigger than Cheatham County where my family lives with ~8,000 less in population) its surprisingly well stocked.  I started making a mental list of books to read this summer as I worked my way through the stacks.
Here's a list of things I like about Clyde:
  • Great young adult selection, both new and old. Not only do they have the newest and most popular teen series, but they still have the oldies but goodies like The Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace and The Emily Trilogy by L.M. Montgomery. This stuff is important.
  • Couches. Need I say more? I'm a big fan of cozy library seating.
  • Events. I follow the library's page on Facebook and they always seem to have great events for the kids, like a Lego club, Wii nights and of course, storytime.
  • Great DVD collection. Sure, you can only have them for a night, but if you check them out on Friday you have two extra days over the weekend!
  • Random A/V stuff. They have a nice collection of audiobooks, audiobook and book combo sets, Playaway MP3 books and the newest innovation from Playaway, the Playaway View, a preloaded digital video player. I had never heard of them before yesterday, but I was tempted to check one out just to see how it works.
  • Friendly Staff. Not as great as my ladies back at South Cheatham, but I think that's probably cause I haven't had as much of a chance to get to know them here.
  • Location. Its right smack downtown in Dayton (if you can call it "downtown") and 1.3 miles from the college so a student could feasibly walk down there on a nice day. Also, its right across the street from Harmony House Coffee Shop, so after you get your library haul you can go drink coffee and read in one of John Piatt's assorted arm chairs.
If I get to stick around Dayton this summer I'll be hanging out with Clyde whenever I get the chance.  If you're from around the area and know this library, what do you like about it? let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you can park right up front, just a few feet away from the front door for free! The staff is great too! I saw one of the librarians cheering for my son at the high school baseball game!

    ReplyDelete